Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Speaking of Dreams II: The Concert I Screwed Up

Last week I sang in BYU's Homecoming Spectacular with the rest of Women's Chorus.  This dream visited me the Saturday night afterward.

Now to preface this, I want you all to know that Sister Applonie is a wonderful, talented, merciful, and understanding woman, and this dream version of her is nothing (and I mean nothing) like to the real woman.

Here we go.

. . .

I'm singing in the Homecoming Spectacular with the rest of Women's Chorus.  The decorations are exactly the same, and everything is splendid.  ...Except for the fact that we seem to be singing to a poster board audience.  Seriously, I can't tell if they're alive.  They're giving us no reaction.  It's the middle of Ain't No Grave, and I'm getting super bored.  Like reeeaaaaally bored.  And hungry.  I'm pretty sure I haven't eaten anything all day.  So...

Naturally, I pull a burrito out of nowhere and start eating it in the middle of the song.

...and mid-moutful I see it.

Sister Applonie's face.

She's giving me the you're-dead-to-me look from How I Met Your Mother.



And I suddenly realize that I'm in the middle of a freakin' concert!  Why am I eating?!  And where the crap did that burrito come from?!?

I stash it quickly hoping the damage wasn't too bad, we finish the song, and we exit the stage.

But this isn't the end.  For some reason, all night I kept getting thrown together with a really-angry-at-you-because-you-ate-a-burrito-in-the-middle-of-a-concert-what-were-you-even-thinking version of Sister Applonie.  Every time she saw me, she'd give me that same look and she'd interrupt conversations with super sarcastic comment's like, "Well why don't you just go eat a burrito?"

I spend the rest of the night pleading forgiveness and trying to convince her that I had no idea why it even happened (or what I was thinking, for that matter), but it wasn't until the limo ride home (for some reason dream Abi wants to ride in a limo) that she frankly forgave me for eating a burrito in the middle of the concert.

. . .

Dang burrito!

Apparently, I've got some not-so-latent guilt about something to do with Women's Chorus...  Or maybe I just really wanted a burrito.  My mom has told me a few times about some of her dreams where she wakes up super mad at someone for something they did within the dream.  I've never had that experience (yet), but ever since this dream I have been a little wary of Sister A.  Every time she looks at me during rehearsal, I'm intimidated.  I get a little scared that I'm gonna see the you're-dead-to-me face--a face that I've never seen in real life.  I don't even think she has one!

My brain's really good at making these things up.

And it scares the livin' daylights out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment